Saturday, May 16, 2009

Seouleung

On the way to the hospital to see Andrew this morning I stopped off at a memorial park I pass by every day. I hoped that since its Sunday I would be able to sneak in without having to buy a ticket. No such luck. They nailed me for 1,000 wan (85 cents). Oh well, it was another beautiful extremely well maintained park. I suppose it was worth it.

It amazes me how much care and maintenance goes into everything. The gardens and walkways were immaculate. The first photo shows the 'palace' where the workers preparing the site for the entombment of King Seongjung and his queen lived. The inset shows the inside of the building, constructed about 650 years ago. They would have replaced it by now but are still paying on the negative amortizing mortgage.About 100 feet above the workers 'palace' is the actual burial mound with ol' King Seounjung himself. The very large guardian statues are a symbol of his great wealth. Apparently his reign was a prosperous one for Korea. I wouldn't know about that, but it wasn't so properous for poor Seongjung who died at the sprightly age of 37 years! He had 3 wives and an unknown number of consorts - hmmmm, wonder what he died from?

No comments:

Post a Comment